Here are some of the questions that I think generate the best book club discussions. WARNING – spoilers below!
- Do you agree with Deborah’s decision not to have genetic testing before getting pregnant? Why or why not?
- Do you think Christopher’s reaction to that decision is justified? Why or why not?
- What do you think about the portrayal of female characters, vs. male?
- Despite significant strains, both of the heterosexual relationships in Sparrow Migrations are resolved, while the lesbian relationship is not. Why do you think that is the case? What do you think about that as a reader?
- Did the novel change any perceptions you held about autism? How so? Why do you think Robby is an only child?
- Does the likelihood/risk of special needs factor into whether you would have children, as it does for Christopher?
- What do you think about the depiction of Christianity in the novel? Which character better upheld Christian ideals, Richard or Brett? Why?
- What meaning do you derive from the title?